Dmitry Medvedev says he following Russian producers' advice to continue countersanctions. Photo: Thomas Nilsen

Russian food embargo to continue out 2017

Russia’s Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev wants the ban on import of foodstuffs from the U.S., EU and other countries to continue to the end of 2017.
May 27, 2016

The countersanctions was imposed by Russia in August 2014 as an answer to sanctions previously imposed by the U.S., EU, Norway, Iceland and several other countries. They were first planned to last until June this year.

“Our producers have repeatedly spoken up for a continuation of the food embargo on agriculture products from countries that imposed sanctions against Russia or have joined those sanctions later,” Prime Minister Medvedev said at a meeting with the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs on Friday, Interfax reports. “I have now ordered the preparations of a propsal to prolong the response measures with not only one year, but to the end of 2017,” he added.

G7, the Group of Seven industrial powers are meeting in Japan on Friday. Russia and sanctions is expected to be one of the issues up for discussion.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT