
Finland leaves Ottawa mine ban treaty, citing geopolitical security concerns
Finland has announced it will withdraw from the Ottawa Convention, an international treaty banning anti-personnel mines, citing the escalating tensions in Europe following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Prime Minister Petteri Orpo sought to reassure the public and international community that the country had no interest in military conflict with any nation but could not remain indifferent to the shifting security landscape.
“Finland is not currently facing an immediate military threat,” he said in a statement.
“Withdrawing from the Ottawa Convention will give us the possibility to prepare for the changes in the security environment in a more versatile way. The most important goals of Finland’s foreign and security policy are to safeguard Finland’s independence and territorial integrity, to avoid becoming involved in a military conflict and to ensure the safety, security and wellbeing of the people of Finland,”
Finland shares a 1,340 km border with Russia that extends into the Arctic. After Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Finland abandoned its long-standing policy of military non-alignment to join NATO in 2023, alongside with Sweden.
Anti-personnel mines for national defence
Finland has been a party to the Ottawa Convention since 2012, but a recent assessment by the Finnish Defence Forces, in consultation with the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, established that, in the event of conflict, anti-personnel mines would help slow down any potential adversary and reduce casualties for Finnish troops.
The Defence Forces also determined that mines are simple to use, an advantage given the country’s conscription-based military system.
At the news conference Tuesday, government officials stressed mines would not be deployed in peacetime and that Helsinki would continue to work to reduce the humanitarian impact of landmines internationally. This includes assisting Ukraine in removing mines from its territory.
To formalize its withdrawal from the Ottawa Convention, Finland will next submit an official proposal through the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
The withdrawal will be finalized six months after the United Nations Secretary-General receives this notification.
Finland said key allies had already been informed of the decision.
Increased defence spending
In other announcements, the government said the Ministerial Committee on Economic Policy agreed to boost defense appropriations to at least 3% of GDP by 2029 to help modernize Finland’s military and strengthen its defense capabilities.
“The solution will help us further strengthen Finland’s defence,” Orpo said.
“It will allow the Defence Forces to take a longer-term approach so that it can immediately begin its work to modernise the Army and strengthen resources on a threat-informed basis.”
--------------------------------
This story is posted on the Barents Observer as part of Eye on the Arctic, a collaborative partnership between public and private circumpolar media organizations.